Saturday, May 28, 2005

Our Ash Grove

"The Ash Grove" is the title of a familiar and very traditional Welsh folksong. It is beautifully performed by The King's Singers, a small, all-male choral group. They are accompanied by harp and flute. It takes me to another place metaphorically, my ash grove. It speaks to me of a time in my life, that is ever-present, past and future. It evokes, with its quaint melody and speech, a feeling of sweet sadness and piognancy.

"Down yonder green valley where streamlets meander... When twilight is falling, I pensively rove"...this describes me sometimes lately. "Or at the bright noontide in solitude wander...amid the dark shades of the lonely ash grove"...however, this also can be my mood, even with all the attention and recognition of my careers.

"'Twas there, while the blackbird was cheerfully singing I first met the dear one, the joy of my heart"...my wonderful memories with Betty over the years come back to me often. "Around us for gladness the bluebell were ringing. Ah! Then little thought on how soon we should part"...our life together has been so happy and fleeting, and it is winding down. We can tell.

"Still glows the bright sunshine o'er valley and mountain...still warbles the blackbird, its note from the tree"...we still have alot of fun together on my days off and in between. Our grand children now provide so much joy. "Still trembles the moonbeam on streamlet and fountain, but what are the beauties of nature to me?"...however, the same activities and routines don't hold the same meanings they used to. There is increasingly something lacking in our life.

"With sorrow, deep sorrow, my bosom is laden"...possibly a glimpse of my future, (or hers)
"All day I go mourning in search of my love"...I can't imagine what it is going to be like to be alone and not have her to come home to everyday. I'm starting to miss her already but I don't want to deal with the inevitability of it. Our togetherness has been so sweet.

"Ye echoes, O tell me, where is the sweet maiden?...She sleeps 'neath the green turf, down by the ash grove." Unthinkable! Betty and I will never be truly separated like this. Our love will go on and on as we meander in our Ash Grove. Bob

2 Comments:

At 6:39 AM, Blogger BOB! Your Life Preserver said...

Yes, I know, I spelled "poignancy" wrong. I wasn't sure, asked Betty, and still got it wrong. I'll say a "type-o" OK? I probably have other errors. Most are not on purpose. Some might be there to get a "rise" out of a reader. OK? Bob

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger BOB! Your Life Preserver said...

If you want to know the meaning behind the title of my blog...scroll down to the first entry: "What's in a name?" Thanks, Bob

 

Post a Comment

<< Home