Saturday, May 21, 2005

Have A Long and Happy Life!

Dr. Tim Johnson, ABC News Medical Correspondent, has an article in the Sept. 2004 Guideposts that I especially like. It caught my eye as I was coming from swimming in the clubhouse hall magazine rack. He's on the cover. I have always admired him and the way he reports.

When I went to North Park College back in '57-'58 I had a part-time job at the Swedish Covenant Hospital as an orderly. I was told that I took Tim Johnson's place. He used to clean up the OR's (operating rooms). He was just ahead of me and, I guess, went on to seminary there at North Park and eventually Harvard Medical School. It was there he decided to become a minister and then a doctor. It was that hospital experience I had that convinced me that I did not want to have anything to do with a medical career. At the time, I was still considering the ministry.

Now, almost 50 years later, I'm convinced I made the right choice ie. Education etc. I'm sure he did too. His continuing good advice: The body and soul are a single entity, and what's good for one is usually good for the other.
1. Move it! Exercise at least 30 mins. a day. He walks.
2. Give of yourself! From his mother's example...those who help others have a more positive attitude and they live longer, happier lives. It is exercise for the soul.
3. Make it a point!...to see your doctor regularly, do all the check-ups...especially a colonoscopy and PSA tests. Catch a condition before it gets a firm hold on you.
4. Got to have friends! Get together. No friends? Volunteer and make new ones.
5. Rest Easy! Get a good night's sleep, a vacation. Take up meditation ie. good for the blood pressure.
6. Make Your Move! Follow your heart, your bliss, your passion. Do something you love and makes you happy.

At this point, I feel confident about all but one. I'm working on it. Can you guess which one it is?This blog has something to do with it too. Bob

1 Comments:

At 7:19 AM, Blogger BOB! Your Life Preserver said...

This entry, again, follows in the the basic theme of "Life Preservation". It gets into the saving of one's soul or spirit.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home