Thursday, July 07, 2005

"Nuts to you!"

Love nuts. Always have. Every morning I fix myself 11 blanched almonds. Betty only wants 9. I hand them to her and say..."_" It's our little joke. We do it because we read somewhere that blanched almonds are very good for you and help prevent cancer.

I don't really know about that but I know all kinds of nuts are good for you. Walnuts are rich in omega-3, like fish oil...which we also take. I love pistaschio ice cream, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, cashews, hazelnuts, peanuts...I could go on.

"Nuts to you!" used to be a saying when I was growing up that meant..."Forget you!" or "Buzz off" or I don't want to do what you want me to do. I remember I once got in trouble in elementary school for saying to the teacher that phrase of disrespect. I think it followed an announcement that the whole class was going to miss recess...my favorite subject. She heard it. I remember having to take the note from the teacher home to my parents and then getting punished at home on top of it. I never did that again...I might've thought it. I suppose I still do at times, but I hold my tongue. There are always certain circumstances that could elicit it, but I've learned. Better to try and live in harmony with everyone. And, as I read in my horoscope today, "Harmony can be difficult when everyone is singing the same note."

So..."Nuts to you!" could, in a obtuse kind of way, be a way of wishing "health" to our fellow man/woman. Here's a challenge, life is a hard nut to crack, but it is good to have that challenge and variety in texture...something to get our "teeth" into, as long as we don't bite off more than we can chew...or get them stuck in between our teeth...I could go on and on with these cliches. I'm full of them..."old nuggets", "gems"...half truths. Isn't this just about all we get in this life? Bob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home