Friday, October 14, 2005

Sinecure

This is my word for the day and maybe longer. It is new to me. It's a noun; \SY-nih-kyur; SIN-ih-\, It is an office or position that requires or involves little or no responsibility, work or active service. It is from the Medieval Latin sine cura, "without care (of souls)"

Maybe it is cyclical or maybe just my time of life, but I seem to be longing for just that ie. less responsibility. Am I wrong? Am I derrelict in my duty? I've always thought of myself as someone "who really cares". Come on, I was a teacher. That was my job. Who else would? I met many a parent who didn't seem to care. It is probably what has made me a good R.E. Agent. I show I care about the client, the buyer and their transaction, their home. This has normally not been too hard. Lately it has become more of a challenge. I have noticed a slight change in the "financial/buying/sellling" climate. "Fear" of rising interest rates, changes in the ratio of supply to demand for new housing. Corporate fear that "quotas" are not going to be met for this fiscal year. Increased "pressure" from the top down to sell and close homes with "extremely happy" customers who will recommend you and your company. But hasn't this alway been what "sales" is about?

I'm beginning to believe that "Murphy's Type Law" saying: "No good deed goes unpunished." Just when you think you are helping someone, they'll turn around and try to get you in trouble. It becomes a "thankless job" most of the time. But then my wife says, "Chill, that's just "corporate life" "survival of those who have fits"... Yes, I'm still learning and hopefully the "learning curve" is working for me. I'm trying to care and be responsible even when those all around "think otherwise". My wife thinks I'm paranoid. Maybe I am. I never used to be. Bob

3 Comments:

At 3:43 PM, Blogger BOB! Your Life Preserver said...

I know, cynical is spelled wrong.

 
At 9:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dad, the unfortunate lesson i learned on the road this season. is to trust no one except yourself. even the closest friends you think you have will stab you in the back for the allmighty dollar. ah greed, it is what rules in sales.

 
At 8:20 AM, Blogger BOB! Your Life Preserver said...

You're right. Sales has always been about greed...especially mine. To get out of debt and go into retirement with a nest egg...if that is greed, I'm guilty. Dad

 

Post a Comment

<< Home