Sunday, October 02, 2005

Crashing Boor?

This spelling of the word, Boor isn't seen too much anymore. I think of boar, the wild pig or male pig. I think of bore, what beetle do to trees (drilling). I'm sure it is not surprising that I have familiarity with all three, especially the first.

When I was a much younger dad, I had the privilege of joining and participating in our local chapter of the "Indian Guides" in Claremont with my boys. It was an alternative to "Scouting" and the early groups that were led and dominated by "stay-at-home" moms. (cubs) It was strictly "fathers and sons" It was based on "so-called" tribe concepts ie. crafts, outings, campfire circles, "talking stick"(not peace-pipes) now not "P.C." We had a lot of fun with most of the families from the local college community. One of our first challenges was to think up a family name/logo that sounded "Indian" or was an admirable animal group ie. "a spirit guide". After a "careful" minute's consideration, we chose the admirable "boar family". They have great appeal for young males. They are wild, crashing, sloppy and have little regard for "manners". Thus the appeal to my boys. I must confess, I may have had an ulterior motive ie. the double meaning of "crashing boar"(boor) Which might have had something to say about many of our up-coming sessions, I thought. Turns out, I was wrong. It was never that boring or booring. We met monthly at one of the families homes and had some challenging outings and crafts. We even walked in the town's 4th of July Parade in all our regalia. We were associated with the Indian Guides for about nine years in all, I think. We had several "family names" and lots of fun. It was too bad the organization didn't have a "sequel" or graduate group like the scouts do. In those early days, I was teaching at the same school that the boys were going to so we had lots of "involvements" with each other. I didn't feel the need for the further involvement of "scouting" at the time. Who knows, it might've been something we would've enjoyed and benefitted from. Hindsight.

My years of involvement in "Choral Music" ie. singing bass, baritone and finally tenor in several groups and chorales, might, by some, be considered to be a "boor". At least, that's the feeling and message I usually got. It is a hobby that is mostly enjoyed by an elite group of those who can read and reproduce "music" with the "first instrument" the human voice. It requires "an ear" to hear when notes and tunes are "on pitch", in rhythm, and in the phrase and style meant by the composer. This is a "dying performing art" now days for the most part. Fewer and fewer supporter, let alone fans, can be counted each year. The reason(s) are probably (mainly) because most of the music, still performed, is "archaic" and not really speaking to the masses. They are sung in Latin or German or some other language and there is little attempt to translate to any meaningfulness of our current lives. I always just loved the challenge of "being able to do it" correctly, blending with the group/section, no solos. It was my form of "worship" and memory of my mom. I also enjoyed years of involvement in Barbarshop Harmony singing. It has also become boring to me. The last groups I've sung with are fine gents and talented, but the topics of conversation otherwise, are depressing to me. ie. latest ailments, who has died recently. Gigs were getting to be "funerals". The contests I used to go to and participate in no longer movtivate me. I still enjoy listening to "good choral music" and I know how hard it is to reproduce the authentic sounds the conductors want. I will maintain my season tickets to Mountainside Master Chorale and L.A.M.C. Their performances are thrilling to me...and me alone.

Boring or not boring curbs is also something that I have dealt with. When I first started selling homes in Sun Lakes, Banning, it was the practice/custom to bore a large pipe-sized hole on either side of the curbs in front of the house. These were connected to pipes that went all the way to the backyards for proper drainage under the front landscaping which was included. I, immediately upon moving in, connected my down-spouts to those pipes so the the whole property drained to the street. They have not clogged once in the more than five years I've lived here. I think it was an extra expense well worth it. Now, the homes I sell do not have bored or cored curb holes. They do run plastic pipe under the driveways before they pour them for the sprinklers. So much for my "boring life" to the present. Bob

2 Comments:

At 9:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not true, your sister enjoys that boring music very much. I'll forward some of the emails from our retreat so you won't feel alone!

 
At 3:40 PM, Blogger BOB! Your Life Preserver said...

Oh yes, I'm sorry. You and I are almost unique. I was wondering what all those emails were.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home