Friday, June 10, 2005

...to be continued...

One of the main things I like about writing this blog is that it gives me something to look forward to everyday. I find myself being more observant, more contemplative and more introspective about what is going on in my life. It is becoming a form of inner discipline and perspective, connecting my current interests and endeavors with my memories of what I've done or haven't done. I am constantly searching for new themes to develop and connect to my past interests and values and then to see if they have changed or are in the process of evolving. It isn't just a mental exercise to keep my mind alert and those dendrites growing...through my corpus collasum(?). I'm trying to make more sense out of my life now and where I've been and what I've done. I'm trying to find better reasons to "stay tuned" and continue to do my best at whatever I am involved in. ie. "irrate customers", "family concerns", "personal issues" all needing defusing or a more constructive or caring approach. I am reexamining my motives, results and hidden intensions more readily and hopefully, more effectively and successfully for everyone I'm involved with.

I greet each day with an attitude of renewal and hope on how I can do a better job and not just muddle through. I end each day with the eagerness involved in trying to define it, explain it and write it down...justify it, I guess, to myself. I guess I've always done a form of this but never so formally in writing for others to read. (maybe)

I'm reminded of a story I saw a few years back on TV. I don't know the title or screenwriter but it made a lasting impression on me. A young boy is always very quiet in class (elementary) and always either day-dreaming or scribbling down notes that he won't share with anyone. He doesn't get involved at recess with friends or play. He goes quickly home after school everyday, almost running to his home. He lives with his grandfather who is bed-ridden and dying. He goes right into him and stays by his bedside, talking to him and telling him his on-going story he's creating. The old man literally lights up in his presents and hangs on his every word. He's a "new man" and they have loads of fun. The main event is a "made up story" with "chapters" that the boy has been working on almost all day. The key ingredient: he never says "the end" it keeps on going with "cliff-hangars" and exciting prospects. The boy knows that his beloved grandfather won't want to pass away in the night because he wants to hear what is going to happen tomorrow in the next chapter. The old man truly lives to see his grandson and hear what he has to say each day and thus be involved in his exciting life.

John Reynolds Gardiner, a retired engineer, has written two, short, children's chapter books. One is a tragedy called "Stone Fox" the other is a comedy called "Top Secret". What they both have in common is a "loving grandfather" with a very different perspective about life. I've read them to classrooms. Yes, I've even shed a tear or two as I shared the tragedy. I've chuckled too with them about the comedy. The kids wouldn't let me put it down somedays. "Read the next chapter!" Pleeese!" That's what it's all about with me, even now. Bob

1 Comments:

At 5:42 PM, Blogger BOB! Your Life Preserver said...

If you want an explanation of the title of my blog, Bob, Your life preserver, check out the May archive and the 1st entry: "What's in a name?" Thanks, Bob

 

Post a Comment

<< Home