Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Majoring in Minors for 68 years

Today is my birthday. (6/27/39) It is the 178th day of the year. (187 to go) It is less than 10 days to halfway through this calendar year. It must be a holiday somewhere. Let's see: It is Independence Day in Djibouti. (that's a fun place to say, but I wonder where it is?) It is the Feast Day of St. Cyril of Alexandria, (Egypt?), St. Zoilus and St. Samson of Constantinople (now Istanbul, Turkey - been there)

James Smithson died today in 1829 leaving his vast fortune to establish the Smithsonian Inst. in Wash. D.C. I'm a member and will be taking my favorite magazine with me on my trip. In 1893, the New York Stock Market crashed. (I used to live on York Blvd. and I love to sing/teach about the "Grand Ol' Duke of York") In 2003, more than 735,000 phone numbers were registered on the first day of a "national do-not-call list". It hasn't worked well with me yet. In 2005, the BTK serial killer pleaded guilty to 10 murders in Wichita, Kansas. He is now serving 10 consecutive life sentences and won't have the possibility of parole for 175 years. (much better than a lethal shot)

Also born on this date: 1859, Mildred J. Hill, the American Composer of "Happy Birthday to You" and "Good Morning to You" (with her sister, Patty Smith Hill) (but could she sing, "Estas Son Las Mananitas"?) 1880, Helen Keller, American Author, educator and advocate for the blind. 1827, Bob Keeshan, American actor, "Captain Kangaroo" (now here's a Bob I can relate to) 1930, Ross Perot (I voted for him) and 1975, Tobey Maguire, American Actor -"Spiderman" (can't relate)

Died on this date: 1844, Joseph Smith, Mormon founder and his brother, Hyrum, killed by a mob in Carthage, Ill. 2001, Jack Lemmon, Am. Actor (I can relate, "everyman") 2002, John Entwistle, bassist for "The Who" (can't picture him) 2005, John Walton, son of Wal-Mart founder Sam. (just went to their store today)

I had lunch with my oldest son, his wife and their son, Xavier, yesterday. Loving family. I'll see Soren, his other son soon, I hope. Had dinner at the Spaghetti Factory with my third oldest son and his wife and two Grand Children last weekend. Wonderful group. Got an email from my second son, and his lovely wife today. He has great plans to search the stars and vacation with his ol' bud Scott. Just talked to my youngest son and his girl on the phone. They are in love.
All is well with the Burgan Clan.

We are going on a Baltic Cruise tomorrow. It will be a trip of a lifetime for us. My wife has been to Sweden before so she'll show me around with her sister and brother-in-law. We are excited. What a Birthday Present!

The above may seem minor to you, but they are "major" to me in this, my 68th year. I've lived nine years longer than my dad was allowed to. I still miss him. My mom was 83 before she passed. She was a teacher of all 8 grades in one room when she started. I'm retired from teaching 2nd -8th for 38 years. I've just made the decision to do some Substitute Teaching in our local schools this next semester. We'll see how that goes. I do miss the eager smiles and joys of learning with these "Minors". It just gets in your blood I guess.

So, I don't mind saying that "I've majored in minors." It has been a good life and hopefully will continue to be the best. "A hundred years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, the type of house I lived in, the kind of car I drove, where I cruised,...but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child...or children." Keeping that child-like humor and openness is my continued goal. Bob!

1 Comments:

At 4:01 PM, Blogger BOB! Your Life Preserver said...

Brett just told me to "Hide my diary under my bed like everyone else." Blogs are not diaries...there journals of thoughts and jejune ideas. (my new word for the week) So there! Bob!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home