Friday, April 21, 2006

Dreams Deferred?

"What happens to a dream deferred?
Does it dry up
like a raisin in the sun?
Or fester like a sore -
And then run?
Does it stink like rotten meat?
Or crust and sugar over -
Like a syrupy sweet?
Maybe it just sags
Like a heavy load.
Or does it explode?
by
Langston Hughes
1902 - 1967
He has always been one of my favorite poets. I love to read his poems aloud. The above is one I found today. I used to teach and have my students memorize at least one of his poems a year.
Here's one of his most famous poems on the same topic:
"Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die,
Life is a broken-winged bird
that cannot fly;
Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams go,
Life is a barren field
Frozen with snow."
He was born into an abolitionist family in Joplin, Mo. James Langston Huhges was instrumental in shaping the Harlem Renaissance of the 1920's. He was deeply immersed in the world of jazz, an important influence on his writing: "I tried to write poems like the songs they sang on Seventh Street...(these)had the pulse beat of the people who keep on going." "They speak to me even today."
"Young men see visions, old men dream dreams" or is it the other way 'round? I still have a few I plan to not defer any longer. Today, I had a little reminder of how much mine still depend on "vision". I had laser surgery on a retinal macro-aneurysm. My vision wasn't really threatened but it gave me pause to think...how much of what I still want to do depends on my being able to see and not just hear. I love the sounds of music and poetry. I want to produce my own. I'm taking a class tomorrow at Crafton Hills College on Screenwriting. We'll see how it goes. I've been putting off these "dreams" of creating prose, poetry and music too long and I hope it is not too late. I've been checking into all kinds of classes and schools but I probably don't even need them to just let it "flow". There's a "thread" that runs through all I read and write now and most of what I listen to. Little of it has to do with the popular shows on TV or the movies. They seem to take up more of my creative thinking time. So I'm going to curtail my viewing. I've also got to increase my "eye rest" to let the lasering heal. I may increase my meditation times since this will serve the dual purpose of visual relaxation and stress reduction. I am not aware of having higher blood pressure but this was the first question the doctor asked as to a cause of this anomally.
It does give one a renewed sense of urgency about what I now want and need to do with my life. There are so many things and places I still want to see. There are my beautifully growing grandchildren to watch and nurture. These are all still there for the doing. My dad missed out on them with his fatal stroke, on the job at 59. So, you can see why there will be no more deferring where my dreams and visions are concerned...not by a dam site! Bob!

2 Comments:

At 7:14 AM, Blogger BOB! Your Life Preserver said...

Yes, I realize that Langston's "Dream" poems probably were inspirations for Martin Luther King Jr.'s famous "I have a Dream" speech. Yes, I'm sure he was probably referring to "racial issues" which are still not resolved. ie. in the news today in Omaha, Nebr. It has become more of an economic issue. However, it also resonates with my "dreams" unrealized and those have to do with creative writing and music. Bob!

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger BOB! Your Life Preserver said...

I actually enjoyed my class on Screenwriting. It was 4 hrs. It was somewhat informative, but most important, it inspired me to put one of my "writing ideas" (one I pitched at class) on the Writers' Guild Website Registry in Outline form. I got a registration number. This will protect it as my original "idea" for a play or screenplay. Now I must go about actually writing the screenplay and getting an "agent" who will accept a "new writer". Good Luck! Bob!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home